- Big data, big impact?
- Feeding the 9 billion
- Countryside in Crisis?
- The Energy Water Food Stress Nexus
- Unsustainable Fishing
- Keeping pace with a digital revolution
- Global health in the 21st Century
- Adapting to an urban future
- Educating for tomorrow
- Digital technology in Africa
- Persistent poverty in Britain
- Can the UK ever be sustainable?
- Plastic pollution in the oceans
- Natural disasters: how to improve?
- Not In My Back Yard
- Digital Divide in the UK?
- Importing goods, exporting drought?
- Britain’s ageing population
- Engineering our climate
- The future shape of Capitalism
- Migration: skills and the job market
- Razing the Rainforest
- London under water
- Concreting the countryside
- Future of low carbon energy
- Africa in the 21st Century
Renewables, populations, pandemics, world, virus, Health, disease, Sugru, steganography, UN, Credit Crunch, Medicine, welfare state, keeping pace with a digital revolution, energy, AIDS, population growth, skills, economy, Sustainability
Plastic pollution in the oceans : In the News
Marine ecology: Welcome to the plastisphere
- Source: The Economist
- 20th July 2013
The malign effect of floating plastic debris on seabirds, turtles and other sea creatures is well known. But, as Dr Mincer and Dr Amaral-Zettler have discovered, plastic debris also provides a new habitat for organisms small enough to take advantage of it.full article »
Sea turtle conference addresses Great Barrier Reef sickness spike
- Source: The Guardian
- 18th July 2013
Rangers and scientists gather to explore ways of curbing threats that led to soaring number of strandings in recent years.full article »
What are long term threats of plastic in our seas?
- Source: BBC News
- 29th January 2013
Last summer, when filming for a series to be broadcast next year, a team from the BBC's Natural History Unit saw first-hand how discarded plastic can end up thousands of miles away from where people live when they visited French Frigate Shoals, an island north west of Hawaii.full article »
Big rise in North Pacific plastic waste
- Source: BBC News
- 2nd May 2012
The quantity of small plastic fragments floating in the north-east Pacific Ocean has increased a hundred fold over the past 40 years.full article »
Congo bans plastic bags to fight pollution
- Source: Reuters
- 2nd June 2011
The Republic of Congo has banned the production, import, sale and use of plastic bags in a move to fight environmental pollution in the Central African nation, government spokesman Bienvenu Okiemy said on Thursday.full article »
- Source: Plastic Oceans