- Countryside in Crisis?
- The Energy Water Food Stress Nexus
- Unsustainable Fishing
- Keeping pace with a digital revolution
- Global health in the 21st Century
- Adapting to an urban future
- Educating for tomorrow
- Digital technology in Africa
- Persistent poverty in Britain
- Can the UK ever be sustainable?
- Plastic pollution in the oceans
- Natural disasters: how to improve?
- Not In My Back Yard
- Digital Divide in the UK?
- Importing goods, exporting drought?
- Britain’s ageing population
- Engineering our climate
- The future shape of Capitalism
- Migration: skills and the job market
- Razing the Rainforest
- London under water
- Concreting the countryside
- Future of low carbon energy
- Africa in the 21st Century
- Tim Brown »
- Professor Kevin Noone »
- Jeremy Bentham »
- Panel Discussion and Q&A »
- Infographics: How much fish do we all eat? »
Audience questions 1-5
Does Africa hold the creative solutions for the future?
"There are certain countries in Africa that have an entrepreneurial culture, you also need a certain amount of money invested."
"Africa's hubs are Lagos, Accra, Nairobi, Johannesburg and Cairo."
Will technological development in Africa end up replacing certain government services?
"With any technological tool there ends up being an analogue shadow. I don't see that disappearing."
Is digital technology going to develop independantly of political systems in Africa?
"I think a lot of new agencies will come up, who will build their credability and reputation as individuals in the market and outcompete government."
Who are set to be the big players in the African technology scene?
"The tech companies are there, but they are not paying attention to anything beyond government contracts."
"55% of Kenya's ICT budget spend goes on government contracts."